Topics

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Origins of Motherwit

Motherwit came into my vocabulary via the extraordinary, African-American women of my mother's senior citizen book club. Along with knowledge of homemaking, gardening, budgeting and nursing, their mothers passed on a foundation for common sense, long-term planning, and problem-solving.

Motherwit equipped them to navigate through changing political climates and opportunities which their mothers could only envision.  They entered careers in nursing, education, and business.

Despite their qualifications, scales varied by race and gender. White counterparts expected them to clean common areas. The powers that be expected them to fail and wash out.  Instead, they took root and grew into integral team members.

Their stories reminded me of my own mother's practical wisdom and skills. She bore the brunt of raising children, managing a household, and supporting a family. She faced double standards and pay scales at work. She took on adjunct teaching and ghost writing jobs with lots of work and no credit.

Motherwit navigated her through a sea of troubles, yet kept her focus, faith, and creativity intact.
Image Credit: Cheryl

The triumph of motherwit reminded me of the creative spirit Alice Walker described in her essay, "In Search of Our Mothers' Gardens." Her own mother worked beside, not behind, her husband in a life of gardening, canning, cooking, sewing, and housekeeping.

However, her unending workload didn't dampen her mother's creativity.  Her mother's carved out a creative outlet in sprinkling flower seeds in the garden, an act of beauty that fed her soul. Walker reflects,

"Guided by a heritage of a love of beauty and a respect for strength - in search of my mother's garden, I found my own."

Whether I darn a sock, mend a shirt, or whip up a dinner from refrigerator remnants, I apply basic principles learned from her. When I face a tough situation, I ask myself the questions she asked me. How much time do I have? How would I want someone to treat me?  Can I solve this problem alone, or do I need help?

Unfortunately, motherwit is vanishing.  Technology replaces family ties as a major influence shaping our lives. Ironically, the very force undermining motherwit can also preserve it.  This blog seeks to preserve this endangered cultural treasure.

As times evolve, so will motherwit.  New generations and backgrounds can join the conversation.  As they do, the wealth of knowledge multiplies.  Together, we can reap the dividends.

2 comments:

  1. I love this idea as a blog. I think this is a great way to reach all ages and also help the younger generation slow down. Too many people are focused on "Googling" or having some one else fix, cook, help, etc. By taking a moment to listen to our parents or grandparents, we might be able to slow down and learn something new. Also, this is a way to pass down family tradition and family secrets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reading and taking the time to respond. I'm enjoying digging into this treasure chest, and look forward to making discoveries together.

    ReplyDelete