Topics

Monday, March 20, 2017

¢ Mothercents ¢ Defrost Food in the Refrigerator to Save Energy

Find out how to get your money's worth
from frozen foods.
Image Credit: Stephen Depolo 
As news sources report the bleakest outlook on climate change, I'm determined to save energy as well as money.  Despite my good intentions, I often miss the mark.

Just this Saturday, I could have kicked myself.  I knew that I would need to thaw frozen tempeh to make my vegan sausage balls.  


I had planned a batch-cooking extravaganza for a week, yet I neglected to defrost the main ingredient in the money-and energy-saving, motherwit way. 

Fortunately, I could simply steam it without fear of dangerous microorganisms multiplying. The missed opportunity inspired me to include this tip in this Monday's ¢Mothercents¢. 

Most cooks prefer one defrosting method over another.  Depending on a food's size or volume, foods can safely thaw in the refrigerator, cold water, the microwave or the cooking process. For more details, see the USDA Defrosting Guidelines.

However, to save both money and energy, defrosting in the refrigerator is the way to go.  To understand why, consider how a refrigerator works.  Consider how it can work to your advantage.  

Refrigerator Basics 

For simplicity's sake, I will explain how the compressor works together with the thermostat to keep food cold. For more complete information, feel free to check out how a refrigerator works

Work with your refrigerator to save money and energy
Image Credit: Osseous
The compressor pumps coolant throughout the refrigerator to maintain even coolness. However, the compressor needs the thermostat to signal when the temperature creeps too high.  When the thermostat has nothing to report, the compressor takes a break.  

Defrosting in the fridge introduces a new source of coldness.  As long as the thermostat senses the temperature below the limit, it doesn't send a request to the compressor.  Effectively, owners can recoup the money spent on energy for the freezer by utilizing it in the refrigerator.

Open Forum on Money-Saving Tips 
This blog will continue sharing ways to stretch money, but I am by no means the only source. What motherwit tips do you have to share?  Feel free to write in comments or questions in the comments.  Sharing motherwit enriches us all and builds community, so join in the conversation!

No comments:

Post a Comment