Topics

Monday, May 15, 2017

The Global Table, Week 3 - Banana Bread, from Returning Favors to Caribbean Motherwit

Even today, banana bread and tea
conjure up memories of Japan.
Returning the Favor

Mother's Day brings to mind  life lessons, not only from my mother, but from several mother figures who shared their wisdom.   One such lesson was the Japanese concept of on-gaeshi

On-gaeshi encapsulates feelings I could never express in English. We English speakers use the term "returning the favor" similarly, but it lacks the depth and bonding of on-gaeshi
Thanks to my four-loaf Wilton pan,
I can bake gifts or extra loaves
 for the freezer. 


On-gaeshi expresses a bond that holds two people in a most beautiful, ongoing debt. Both people take pleasure in repaying kindness, in pleasing one another.  People often express this bond through exchanging thoughtful gifts. 


The concept may baffle or even frighten independence-touting Westerners.  Most Japanese, however, value on-gaeshi as Westerners prize unconditional love. 

I turned to baking to supply these gifts. However,  previous American teachers had already acquainted them with the charms of cakes, cookies, and pies. 

I needed something not too sweet (a common criticism of American sweets) and original.  Then, I stumbled upon a Jamaican banana bread recipe in an international cookbook.  

The simple recipe made use of ingredients I could easily find.  The nutmeg gave it panache that distinguished my banana bread its sugary counterparts. Soon, I baked and gave it away as my signature thank you.  
As I played with the recipe, I replaced white sugar with brown and reduced the amount.  I added cinnamon and dashes of allspice and cloves.  This new, improved version made rounds of grad-school potlucks and came out a winner all over again.

We are only beginning to learn the scientific benefits
of coconuts that tropical mothers intuitively trusted.
Image Credit: Hafiz Issadeen

Caribbean Roots and Coconut Fruits

Banana bread re-entered my life through an independent baker from Montserrat at a Farmer's Market.  

Ruth* blended healthy grains and exotic fruit into taste-sensations of breads every Tuesday and Thursday. Gradually, she gained a good reputation and expanding clientele for baked goods as scrumptious as they were nutritious

As we conversed, she her extensive knowledge of nutrition.  She emphasized  the benefits of coconuts: its toasted, shredded meat, oil, milk and flour.  Her banana bread resolved any lingering questions I had about adding her wisdom to my own bread.  I still buy her breads, but also experiment on my own. She nudged me to stick with natural organic ingredients as much as possible.  A million thanks, Ruth*.

* I have changed the baker's name to protect her privacy.

Building Your Best Banana Bread
     
As always, I offer each recipe as a starting point.  Every baking experience invites us to experiment.  

    Ingredients: I have placed asterisks (*) next to optional ingredients or combinations.  For a simple, straightforward bread, avoid the asterisks.  If you feel adventurous, feel free to add the asterisked ingredients.  
Alternative mixtures in parentheses  include some of my favorite health foods.
    Amounts:  I have ranges of volume.  The smaller will yield one 9" (22.5 cm.) loaf or two 2" x 3" (5 cm.  x 7.5 cm.) loaves. The larger amount doubles the amount for my 4-loaf Wilton pan. 


Ingredients: 
1/2 - 1 cup coconut oil
1/3 - 2/3 cup brown sugar (may substitute 1/8 - 1/4 cup with xylitol) 
1 -2 tbsp. vanilla, powdered or liquid
1 -2 eggs or flax eggs 
      (FLAX EGG:  1 TSP. GOLDEN FLAX MEAL + 2.5 WATER, CHILLED 5 - 10 MINUTES)
2 to 4 cups flour or my mixture 
      (1-2 cups white wheat flour, 1/4 to 1/2 cup soy flour, and 3/4 - 1 1/2 cups white flour)
1 - 2 tbsp. baking powder
1 - 2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 - 1/2 tsp. salt
1 to 1 1/2 cups mashed banans (about 2 - 3 bananas)
* 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
* 1/8 - 1/4 tsp. cloves
* 1/8 - 1/4 tsp. allspice
* 1/4 - 1/2 cup walnuts

* 1/4 - 1/2 cup raisins

Directions:

1. In a large mixing bowl, cream together coconut oil, brown sugar, vanilla, and egg(s).
2. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, nutmeg, salt, and optional spices (if desired).
3.  Add the creamed wet mixture and mashed banana to the dry mixture alternatively.  Mix well.
4. Add walnuts and raisins if you wish.
5. Grease either  9" (22.5 cm.)  or 2" x 3" (5 cm.  x 7.5 cm.) loaf pan(s).  Add the batter. Bake at 350° Fahrenheit (177° Celsius) for 40 minutes if smaller pans and 55 minutes for larger ones.  Cool for 10 minutes.   

No comments:

Post a Comment